Sunday, July 25, 2010

Spotlight Sunday: KaceFace



a happy bright studio
How did you get started on etsy?

I had been making purchases on etsy since 2008, but never thought I'd be a seller. In 2009, I decided to quit my day job and open my art shop KaceyKendrickWagner where I sell various sundry doodles and collages. In February of this year, I started sewing and making my own hair clips and headbands. I was reluctant to attempt sell hair accessories since it's such a saturated market, but with some encouragement from my husband, I opened Kaceface Sewing & Accessories. (Turns out he was right...I sold my first 2 items within 10 minutes of setting up shop!)

Tell us a bit about yourself....

I am a 26-year-old "stay-at-home artist." I earned a BA in Art Education from BYU and taught public high school for three years. I married my favorite guy in 2008 and quit teaching shortly thereafter so I could stay home to create, teach private art lessons to little kiddos, and take care of the house.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

I'm a big reader. I looooove books and hope to have a library in my home one day. I also enjoy trying new recipes, blogging, watching BYU basketball, and spending quality time with the hubby.

What first made you want to become an artist?

I've always been good at drawing. In fact, I think I got my start as a preschooler doodling all over my dad's legal pads during sacrament meeting! My parents and teachers really encouraged me to develop my talent and I ended up studying art in college. Since I've been married, that artistic talent has morphed into all kinds of crafting as well.

Describe your creative process.

I make what I like...which is always changing! It can be detrimental--my art shop is SO random--but I try to stay really true to who I am. All of the hair accessories I make are something I would totally wear myself. I generally start with a color or print or shape I find interesting and run with it. I don't plan my designs ahead of time, they just come together as I go.

What handmade possession to you cherish most?

Hmm...I have a quilt my mom made us for our wedding. She spent over 200 hours on it. I also pieced my first quilt top a few months ago...I'm pretty proud of it!

How do I promote my work?

Blogging, posting pics on facebook, wearing it, doing giveaways, etc.

Top 5 books, movies, musicians, and websites.

I don't know if these are top 5, but here are a few favorites...

Books--
Anne of Green Gables series
Harry Potter series
The Poisonwood Bible
The Grapes of Wrath
Agatha Christie mysteries

Music--
Taylor Swift
old school Goo Goo Dolls
Carrie Underwood
songs from Glee
Wicked soundtrack

Movies--
Big Fish
Emperor's New Groove
P.S. I Love You
Notting Hill
Alice in Wonderland

Websites--
Facebook
Goodreads
All kinds of blogs...

How does your faith influence your work?

Pres. Uchtdorf's talk "Happiness: Your Heritage" is one of my all time favorites. He talks about how we all have the power of creativity and reminds us that the things we create don't have to be perfect. It inspires me and keeps me from getting discouraged even if things aren't selling. Creating things makes me happy and brings me closer to Heavenly Father.

Where do I want to be in 10 years?

I want to be a mother more than anything!

What is your favorite item in your shop?

My favorite clip and headband sold last week (which is always exciting but a little sad too!) so my new favorite is the little girl's purple/black rosette headband. If I had a daughter I would have kept it for her! Haha.

Top 5 shops on etsy.

I don't have steady favorites, I like to scout out different shops. (I'm always looking for good deals on fabric if you know of any!)

How has selling on etsy changed your life?

When I was teaching, school consumed my life. I never made time to just sit down and draw or paint or anything. Now I have a million projects going on at once and I create literally everyday, either for etsy or for myself. It makes me happy and keeps me sane.


shops: kaceface, KaceyKendrickWagner
blog: kaceykendrick.blogspot.com
email: kaceykendrickwagner@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment