Friday, June 15, 2012

Nearer, My God, to Thee

One of my favorite songs is "Nearer, My God, to Thee." It holds such a powerful message. I love the humility that it shows in praising our Father in Heaven.

For centuries, this song has been cherished my many people who desire to live their lives in a way that is pleasing to God. According to hymnalaccompanist.com, It was written by Sarah Flower Adams. Along with her Sister, Eliza, she composed many different songs. Here's the rest of the story.

One day [Sarah and Eliza's] Pastor, the Rev. William Johnson Fox, asked these two exceptional sisters if they would aid him in the preparation of a new hymnal he was compiling for the congregation. The two sisters soon became busily involved and committed to this project. Together, they contributed thirteen texts and sixty-two new tunes.

One day the two sisters were busily involved with their pastor in completing the final details for the new hymnal soon to be published, The pastor remarked that he wished he could find a hymn to conclude a sermon he was preparing on the account of Jacob and Esau as recorded in Genesis 28: 10-22. Sister Eliza interrupted enthusiastically, “Sarah, now there’s a excellent idea for a new hymn for our hymnal. Why don’t you write your own hymn about Jacob’s dream?”

“Splendid!” replied the pleased pastor. Later that day, after spending much time in studying the Genesis account, and feeling the dramatic movement of this Old Testament narrative, Sarah began to write. Soon she had versified the complete Biblical story in the five stanzas still in use today.

The text for this hymn is based on Genesis 28 and the dream that Jacob had in the desert when he was fleeing as a fugitive from his home and his brother Esau. Upon awakening from his dream and seeking the ascending and descending angels, Jacob called the place “Bethel” - “The House of God.”

With this account in mind, let us consider part of Jacob's account in regards to his dream. In Genesis, chapter  verse 15, it reads: "And, behold, aI am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bbring thee again into this cland; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of."

Jacob was in distress. He was returning to the land of his Father without knowing what was going to happen to him and his family. As far as he knew, his brother, Esau, was planning to kill him. Jacob must have been terrified. However, knowing that the Lord had commanded him to return, he went forward with faith. How at peace Jacob must have felt as he heard those words or reassurance and love.

In our lives, there are many days when we too go through hard things. I know that as we turn to God and strive to live "nearer to Him", he truly won't leave us alone. He will keep His promises to us, stand by us, and never forsake us. He is standing waiting to put His arms around us and lead us safely home. All we have to do is turn to him.

In closing, I'd like to share the words of the hymn we have discussed.

Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
E’en though it be a cross
That raiseth me.
Still all my song shall be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone,
Yet in my dreams I’d be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

There let the way appear,
Steps unto heav’n;
All that thou sendest me,
In mercy giv’n;
Angels to beckon me
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

Then with my waking thoughts
Bright with thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I’ll raise;
So by my woes to be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

Or if, on joyful wing
Cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot,
Upward I fly,
Still all my song shall be
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment