Monday, June 11, 2012

Keeping a Journal Is Possible

This past Sunday's sacrament meeting topic was on temples. But as I listened to the speakers, I got a whole different message.

The first speaker was a 12-year-old deacon, and he started off saying,"You're probably wondering, 'What can a 12-year-old teach me about the temple?!' " The congregation chuckled. But he followed with,  "I hope by the end of my talk you will think differently." And he proceeded to give accounts of how he came to love the temple, after entering it only 2 times.

Then the temple president's wife spoke, followed by the temple president. All three speakers gave humbled talks of service in the temple, but I noticed that each talk taught me how the speaker had taken action on the simple teachings of the Church--such as daily personal prayer, journal writing, and family prayer--and had used them to gain guidance in the temple during trying times. These actions seemed to be in just about every other sentence in each of the talks.

I thought to myself, It seems to be that those who follow these simple actions are the ones who carry the Spirit most with them. I don't know about you, but I find being able to journal daily difficult. Then in Relief Society a sister shared that she started looking at the difficult moments in her life and wondered how she could sanctify them and make them holy. And that's when I realized that journaling wouldn't be so difficult if I recorded those moments that caused me stress and I asked for Heavenly Father's help on how to make them holy.
I know doing this simple step on a daily basis will bring me closer to Him and the purpose I came to earth to complete. As I go to the temple not only to do ordinance work but also to seek for answers to my questions in my journals, I know I will recognize the answers when they come, because I always remember things better when I write them down.

I believe that this life really is suppose to be a lot simpler than we make it, and hopefully I can establish these habits so that it will stretch my time, like paying tithing stretches my income. If you have any tips for ways you have found this to work for you, please do take a moment to share them!

Thanks for reading, and may your week be one that is full of inspiration!

Happy creating!
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment