Sunday, May 30, 2010

Spotlight Sunday: Artistry by McKenzie G

I was really surprised when taking over the lds etsy team. We have lots of talented sellers. So I asked them a few questions so we could get to know them- and within an hour McKenzie responded with all her answers. She is really on top of things. It has taken me slightly longer to share them with you. I am really impressed with this seller. She sent me some photos of her workspace so you can see where the magic happens.
She is on twitter- follow her here
She is also on facebook
and has a shop blog
and a great personal blog.

How did you get started on Etsy?
I have always loved accessories and when I was looking for some with feathers and things that I loved, I couldn't find any! I am a cosmetologist, and I have always loved to create, so I took it upon myself to create my own!
Tell us a bit about yourself.
I am McKenzie Guymon. I have been married for 2 years and am currently living in Salt Lake City while my husband student teaches here! We will be back in Idaho after he is done though. I love to create! I craft a lot and I love to watch classic movies to inspire my work.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?


I love doing hair. It lets me be creative and have a little fun while I work! I also love dating my husband! He is the best!

What first made you want to become an artist?


When I was in high school, I used to create little hair accessories each day to jazz up my short hair!

Please describe your creative process.

I usually will take out a bunch of materials and play with them until I love what I am creating. I usually will have a color combination picked out before I start. I love watching classic movies, and Hollywood news shows to get inspired.

What handmade possession do you most cherish?

I would probably have to say the quilts I have that my grandmas have made.

How do you promote your work?
I am on Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, and I also sell my products at Brittany Rae Boutique and Sassarella Boutique.

Name your top five books, movies, musicians, and websites besides Etsy.
Books-
*The Secret Journal of Brett Coulton
*The Hiding Place
*Surviving Columbine
*An Elegant Spirit
Movies-
*A Beautiful Mind
*Little Rascals
*Catch Me if you Can
*Land of the Lost
*New Moon
Musicians-
*Muse
*Danger Mouth
*Glee Cast
*Nsync
*The Sounds
Websites-
*Blogger
*Facebook
*www.houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
*www.sassarellaboutique.com

How does your faith influence your work on Etsy?
I definitely think that my faith has inspired my work because I know that my Heavenly Father has blessed me with the ability to create with my hands. I thank Him everyday for what a blessing it is that I can create.

What advice would you give to artists who are new t o Etsy?
Don't get discouraged if your items aren't selling right away! Just keep adding more items!

In ten years, where would you like to be?
I would love to be a stay at home mom creating accessories that are sold online, and at boutiques around the country.

What is your favorite item from your shop?
My favorite item right now is definitely the Mad as a Hatter Comb.

What are your top five favorite shops on etsy?
How has selling on etsy changed your life?
It has given me a lot more confidence in what I create. It means so much to see people buy my items!

Twitter- http://twitter.com/abmckenzieg
Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/pages/Artistry-By-McKenzie-G/81867567986?ref=ts
Etsy- www.artistrybymckenzieg.etsy.com
BLOGS- www.artistrybymckenzieg.blogspot.com & www.girllovesglam.blogspot.com
Email- artistrybymckenzieg@hotmail.com

1 comment: