Friday, September 7, 2012

Bloom Where You're Planted

Photo (C) Sally Hipwell
May be copied for personal/church use.

I took the picture in this post while I was visiting Minnesota. I was walking through a park and as I went over a bridge I noticed a tiny plant beginning to grow between the boards of the walkway. It was small and vulnerable, yet sure and strong. It was blooming where it was planted, even though it wasn't necessarily the best place for a a seedling to take root.

I love the quote by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin in his talk during the October 2008 General Conference.
 
"Come What May and Love it."

Notice, he didn't just say come what may and endure it, or come what may and somehow survive. He said come what may and love it. The phrase bloom where you're planted takes on a whole new meaning for me after pondering this quote.  The plant wasn't just surviving in between the two boards or barely hanging on. It was thriving, growing, and developing even when it wasn't in ideal circumstances.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't love adversity. Sometimes, I even cringe at the sound of the word. I find these words from Elder Worthlin very encouraging.

"I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life. If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times
of greatest happiness. . . .
 
"Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives.
We can learn to love it."

I hope that with the help of our Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ, we can find the strength to not just endure, but to love whatever comes our way. God has a plan for us. He is mindful of us and He will bless us.

Sincerely,
Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment